Thursday, October 26, 2006

90.5 FM KSJS

So on Monday I was on the air as a fill-in DJ for KSJS, San Jose State's radio station. On Saturday I will be on-air again to broadcast the Spartan football game against Louisiana Tech live from Spartan Stadium. I should also mention that on Monday I wasn't just doing any fill-in. The DJ I was replacing was Brad Stone. He should sound familiar to chemistry students since he is the current chair of the department. But at KSJS he is known as the Jazz music director, and the man who was named "Programmer of the Year - Medium Markets 26-79" by JazzWeek for 2004 and helped the station win "Station of the Year - Medium Markets 26-79" in 2003 and 2005.




I'm not trying to convince anyone to listen to KSJS, or to join the station. But since this blog is all about media, it makes sense for me to write about the one media source that I am a part of other than this blog. It also seems like a good time to write about the station because of the show I did on Monday and the game on Saturday, I didn't even mention the volleyball game that I engineered last Thursday. The station is almost completely run by students, who get units for taking the RTVF 192 class and working for the station. The actual on-air studio is in Hugh Gillis Hall. But the station is also a lot more similar to a commercial station than other college radio stations because it is licensed by the FCC, it runs 24 hours a day, and it has 1500 watts of power (enough to cover San Jose and much of the South Bay).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was very interesting, and absolutely relevant. Write more blog posts like this one! Remember, you have to write at least one post per class meeting.

Anonymous said...

It's now November 15. You are not keeping up with your blog posts. You're in danger of failing the course.

Lilly Buchwitz said...

And changing the date of your post so it looks like you just wrote it isn't going to work.